- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 cups water (more if needed to cover the chicken at least 3/4 of the way)
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, drummettes and wings separated
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 scallion, shredded or chopped
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the chicken, soy sauce, and water over medium flame. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Make sure heat is as low as can be without turning off; simmering soy sauce can easily become rapidly boiling soy sauce, which can easily become a big mess to clean up.
- Add the ginger, garlic, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and sugar. Allow the chicken to simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or up an hour if you want falling-of-the-bone tenderness. Ladle the chicken and sauce into a deep platter. Garnish with scallions and prepare to enjoy some savory, succulent chicken.